X Server won start

When I go through XF86Setup, I am a little unclear
which options to choose.  I have a RIVA TNT card and
Gateway EV910 monitor.  The specs on the monitor are..

resolution      1600x1200
display colors  unlimited
scanning freq.  H 30-95kHz
                V 50-200Hz

I chose several different monitor capabilities, all
within the range of my monitor and several different
screenmodes, from 800x640 - 1600-1200.  When I do
startx, I get the following...

_XSERVTransSocketINETCreateListener:
...SocketCreateListener() failed
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already
running

Fatal server error:
Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an
X server isn't already running

When reporting a problem related to a server crash,
please send
the full server output, not just the last messages

Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
giving up.
xinit:  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.

at which point, I am deposited back at a prompt.  I am
not very familiar with X at all and this is my first
few attempts at installing it.   Can anyone help me?

=====
rick