Re: Birth announcement

Quoting Graham Woodruff (graham.woodruff@iii-europe.com):
[...]
> (486/66 8Mb 320Mb HDD and 486/50 8Mb 260Mb HDD) I expect them both to grow
> up into useful adults...
>
> Could I just ask if anyone out there has any 'post install cleanup' advice,
> particularly to remove some of the spurious pci warnings, I am not in front
> of the screen now, but the boot gave several warnings about 'ea-???' stuff,
> along with warnings about stuff missing from the bios, when I get back
> tonight, I will check it out more thoroughly.

Presumably things like this:

qlogicisp : PCI bios not present
eata_dma: No BIOS32 extensions present.
 This driver release still depends on it.
          Skipping scan for PCI HBAs.
eata_pio: No BIOS32 extensions present.
 This driver release still depends on it.
          Skipping scan for PCI HBAs.
Failed initialization of WD-7000 SCSI card!
megaraid: PCI bios not present.
scsi : 0 hosts.

which means you've got no PCI bus or SCSI, and

lspci not found, so PCI resource conflict not checked

which I think you can only get rid of by changing the bootup script
or running 2.2.x kernels which have the necessary /proc files.
(I presume somebody thought 2.2 kernels would make it into slink.)

> P.S. I did take the option to remove the PCMCIA module(s) but there still
> seems to be some residue ?

Starting PCMCIA services: modules/lib/modules/2.0.36/pcmcia/i82365.o:
 init_module: Device or resource busy
 cardmgr.

I think that just goes away when you boot the next time (if you answer
yes to remove).

But if you're running slink, I don't think you'll have all the potato
problems that Ethan mentioned. I usually check /etc/modules (and again
after compiling a kernel, because you'll have different modules and
built-ins) and customise such files as /etc/fstab.

slink also forgets to "cd /dev ; mknod gpmdata p" if you're going
to use the -R option to repeat your mouse in X.

Cheers,

Contents may settle during transportation.  No artificial sweeteners added.