Re: disabling remount ro on errors

On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Ethan Benson wrote:

 : On 14/12/99 hawk@hawkins.cba.uni.edu wrote:
 :
 : >they should be.  I did a clean install onto this disk.  The old disk
 : >ran for months with the stock kernel.  When it wouldn't talk to the
 : >network, I cp -R'd /etc and /lib from the old drive.
 :
 : you might try (cd / ; tar -cvpf - lib) | (cd /mnt/ ; tar -xvpf -)
 : instead of cp -R  change the cd command to the appropriate places,
 : tar does  a better job preserving symlinks then cp does, actually i
 : think you have to use cp -a and/or -p for it to even attempt to
 : preserve symlinks, that would cause libraries to not be copied over
 : quite right.
 :
 : when recursively copying directories with links though tar is a much
 : better option IMO.

<religious issue>

Another option that gives me minimum grief is to use cpio:

  mount /dev/target /mnt
  cd /src
  find -xdev | cpio -padm /mnt

</religious issue>

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD