Re: Birth announcement

On 15/12/99 Graham Woodruff wrote:

Could I just ask if anyone out there has any 'post install cleanup' advice,

yes do some finds for bad ownership and permissions, I have been finding an alarming number of packages installing all or many of their files with either nonexistent uids or uid/gid 1000 (the first ordinary user account)

also check for world/group writable files that do not belong (/usr/lib/libguile.so.6.0.0 is mode 777)

most of the permissions problems are confined to /usr but check the rest of the filesystem too. its pretty obvious what belongs and what does not in /usr, /var/ is a bit trickier (but generally less important) most everything in /usr should be owned root.root and only writable by the owner (root)

my experience is from potato, I don't know if slink has these problems or not.

(yes I have filed bug reports)

Ethan