slink newbie tries to dpkg

I'm the newbie who just got slink base up on a floppy only system. I am trying to get some packages installed, and must be missing something.

I tried to start installing the admin packages, so I picked cron from the following URL:
ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/slink/main/binary-i386/admin/

I downloaded this from an NT box (hiss hiss, its my mandatory desktop at work). Then I tried issued the command:
dpkg --install cron_3.0pl1-50.2.deb

After which I received this error:

dpkg-split: error reading cron_3.0pl1-50.2.deb: Input/output error
dpkg: error processing cron_3.0pl1-50.2.deb (--install):
subprocess dpkg-split returned error exit status 2
cron_3.0pl1-50.2.deb

From my attempts to RTFM, it seems that this file is split into pieces and
needs to be joined. But, if that is correct, why cant I find another piece in that directory.

I would appreciate help if anyone has been through this before.

TIA,

Darryl