Re: Boot off non-BIOS SCSI drive - can I use LILO or SysLinux?

Quoting Brian Boonstra (boonstb@cmg.FCNBD.COM):

> 	I have a system with Windows 95 on an IDE drive, and Debian potato
> on a SCSI drive, hung off of an old DPT PM2021/9x controller.  This
> controller does not appear to be mapping the SCSI disk to D: like I had hoped
> and expected.
>
> 	Presumably, I cannot use LILO to dual-boot the machine (after all,
> how would the machine let LILO see the partition with the kernel?).  Up to
> now, I have been booting off of a floppy, and that is torture.  But it seems
> SysLinux might be able to do the job.  How might I use it?  Can I call it
> from Win95, or only after an MS-DOS boot?  I took a look at
>
> 	/usr/share/doc/syslinux/syslinux.doc
>
> and it seems that booting from DOS mode would not be a problem, so long as I
> keep a copy of the kernel around, but I'm not so sure of this business of
> messing with the MBR.  Where would that get me?

If you don't want to touch anything on your IDE W95, then investigate
loadlin. You need all of 2 files on your W95 system, loadlin.exe and
a copy of the kernel. Then type
path-to-loadlin.exe\loadlin path-to-kernel\kernel ro
at an MS SOD prompt. This takes care of so-called "support" people
who are looking for any excuse not to support your machine because
it's "non-standard".

You can of course use a batch file (which could sniff around to make
sure you're not only in a dosbox), have multiple kernels, and,
by using loadlin as the "shell", use the dos multiple boot menu
so you don't have to go "through" W95 (which takes time).

config.sys fragments (using my directory names):

[menu]
menuitem=linux,linux
menudefault=linux,5

[common]
shell=c:\dos622\command.com c:\dos622 /p /e:1024
[linux]
shell=c:\loadlin\loadlin.exe c:\loadlin\zimage ro

Cheers,