RE: The clock has gone crazy...

Try modifying /etc/adjtime so that it has one line:

0.0 0 0.0

Those are zeros, not the letter O.

Then set the time.

then reboot.

/etc/adjtime is ment to keep track of the "drift" on your HW clock
(since no clock is perfect).  However, the drift isn't always the same.
If /etc/adjtime was made during a time when your clock had an extrodinary
amount of drift in a short period of time, the hwclock program may have
assumed your clock was always that screwed up.  Then it would
try to correct that on every bootup.  In effect, it would always overcompensate.
This happened to me.

Changeing /etc/adjtime to the line above should tell the system that your clock
is perfect.   Eventually your system will write a new /etc/adjtime, and fill it
with more realistic values.

Bryan Scaringe