Re: Mailing list headers [Was Re: ssh vs telnet - which is faster?]

Monday, December 13, 1999, 9:47:41 AM, David wrote:
> You claim to quote section 4.4.3 of RFC822, yet you left most of it
> out, removing the context. Who exactly is to "include" the address?

    The entity that mails out the message.  IE, the list.

> a) The uses marked 1 and 2 above would be trampled on.

    No, they would not.

> b) It is quite clear from references to the "author" at 1 and 2, and
> "message originator" at 5, that "include" (ref 3) is also directed
> at the author.

    The originator is the list.

> c) In case you're not convinced of (b), it says "submitted *to* the
> teleconference" at ref 4, i.e. the originator still has to set this
> field when submitting to the mailing-list.

    Nope, not convinced, even with this.

> It appears that you yourself have used this feature (ref 3/4) and set
> Reply-To to the list, so that you don't get a personal copy of my reply
> (even if I had replied rather than group-replied).

    Of course I did because this list is one of the few *BROKEN* lists I am on
(all the others set the Reply-to) and I was getting damned tired of all of the
broken behavior associated with it.