Re: X11 Forwarding over SSH problem solved...

"Mark Santaniello" <mas4042@rit.edu> writes:
> Ok I figured out my problem and now I feel stupid...
>
> However in the interest of making the list archive complete so that other,
> perhaps also stupid people, can fix this problem (should they be so stupid
> as to create it), I will post the details (in the process revealing my
> stupidity)  :)
>
> Turns out that there was an old entry in /etc/hosts for my machine name.  It
> listed a 192.160.x.x IP that used to be correct (when the box was on my
> LAN).  Apparently sshd fires up xauth, which checks the /etc/hosts
> file...and in my case, added authorization for the wrong ip.
>
> I tracked down this problem by running my sshd with the -d option, which
> caused the client to spew a lot more info, one line being the offending
> xauth command.
>
> Thanks to everyone who offered help, especially
> hservoma@wis02.ec.t.kanazawa-u.ac.jp, who suggested the debugging
> parameters...

Thanks Mark, this does help. Nothing stupid about it. Seems like a
pretty subtle, tought to find problem.

Mine's a bit more complex, but related. The remote machine in my case
is a laptop that can live on any of 3 networks (only one at a
time). On each network it has a different name. Locally it always has
the name "laptop", but it's network name can be any of 3 different
things. Unfortunately it tries to use whatever network machine has the
name "laptop" instead of using it's own network name. I'll have to
figure out a way around this, but you solved the what was causing the
problem and now I can try and solve it. Thanks!!

Gary