Re: mirroring?

Aaron Solochek <leko@cmu.edu> writes:
> Does anyone know either of the following.  1)If there are potato
> cd-images around, and if so, where?  2)Where the documentation for
> setting up a debain mirror is?
>
> I want to be able to bring the entire distro home with me over
> christmas, where I will have a slow connection.  I need to install on a
> few machines there.

Can't help with the cd images.

I assume you're only interested in potato, and then only the 386
stuff, and not the alpha, sparc, m68k, etc.? It's not especially easy
to get a mirror set up for just potato and just binary-i386. The
problem is that there are still a few packages in potato that are
merely links back to slink, and there are some things in
potato/binary-i386 that are links to potato/binary-all. To add to the
difficulty many of the mirrors use ftp daemons that don't allow
logical links to be treated as normal files.

My solution was to use an http mirroring tool, specifically
w3mir. Even then it wasn't easy. I had to write a script to mirror the
directories necessary, plus there was a bug in w3mir that made it
necessary to modify the perl script (w3mir is a perl script). I did
finally get a good mirror going though.

Once you solve how to do it then you have to worry about space. How
much disk space do you have? At my last count you'll need about 2.5G
of free disk space to mirror potato/binary-i386 (US and non US). Some
people would have a difficult time coming up with that amount of
space.

If you're not discouraged yet then send me email and perhaps I can
help you get started.

Gary