Re: Rudimentary network questions.

On Sun, 12 Dec 1999, ktb wrote:

 : I've read through the "Networking-HOWTO" several times and much of it
 : still baffles me.  What I'm trying to do is connect two computers, using
 : one as a print server for my windows only printer.  One thing I'm
 : confused about is the assignment of 127.0.0.0 and 127.0.0.1
 : I've read that 127.0.0.1 is the loopback route.  127.0.0.0 for what I
 : can gather is the "top of the stack."  I can ping both successfully on
 : my computer.  What I'm confused about is which to set my eth0 to?  In
 : /etc/init.d/network I have this,
 : ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
 : route add -net 127.0.0.0

Comment out the route statement if you're running a kernel 2.2.x

 :
 : /etc/hosts is
 : 127.0.0.1 xyf localhost
             ^^^
Remove this.

 : /etc/networks
 : localnet 127.0.0.0

Remove this line - you don't want it (localnet refers to a local network
that is local to a real interface; the loopback doesn't qualify).

 : When I run,
 : ~# netstat -nr
 : Kernel IP routing table
 : Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt
 : Iface
 : 127.0.0.1       0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH     3584 0          0
 : lo
 : 127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U      3584 0          0
 : lo

Eww :)  This is AFU - I think you've got your /etc/init.d/network hosed.

 : This is showing that I have two loopback routes.  Is this correct?  When
 : I assign a route to my nic do I set it at 127.0.0.1 or 127.0.0.0 or
 : neither?  The computer that I'm going to connect to do I assign it
 : 127.0.0.2?  I know you can assign it "anything" (since this won't be
 : connected to the net) but is this following convention?

Well, I think I see your confusion - people talk about "private"
networks and you've crossed that with the loopback interface ...

The loopback interface exists (among other reasons) so the OS can talk
to itself without handing the packet to a hardware driver.  This keeps
un-needed traffic off the network.

So-called "private" networks use IPs reserved for this use by RFC 1918.
192.168.1.0/24 is a common choice.  These IP addresses are not supposed
to be routed on the Internet, and no BGP routes exist for them (though
you'll find that many routers on the Internet *will* attempt to route
these addresses rather than refuse them outright, but that's another
topic altogether).

You need to assign your private network IPs from RFC1918.  I recommend
using 192.168.1.0/24 (netmask 255.255.255.0) since most HOWTOs assume
that anyway.  Assign 192.168.1.1 to one PC and 192.168.1.2 to the other.
The command `ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast
192.168.1.255' should do this.

Later, you can configure a linux box to provide IP masquerading services
for this private network - all machines will be able to access the
Internet.

 : The other thing I'm having trouble with is the computer I wish to use as
 : a server is a 386 with Windows 3.11 on it.  It came with a card and at
 : one time was on a network.  There is a pop up when it boots that says,
 : "The NetWare Shell has not been loaded.  All network functions will me
 : disabled.  ...load the software and restart."  Of course I don't have
 : the Novell NetWare disk to do that.  Can I set that box up from my Slink
 : side in some way?  I assume I have to setup all the things I'm doing in
 : Slink on the other computer?  Is there any resources anyone knows that
 : would help me learn how to do this in Windows 3.11?

Well, Netware runs IPX by default, not IP, so it's of little value to
you.  You say your printer is Windows only - you plan on driving it from
this 386?

If you can set up Windows 3.11 using a slink bootdisk I'm sure others
would like to know how :)

I hope this helps, though I think you will have to do some reading and
ask a few more questions!  Good luck ...

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD