Dpkg Woes

Ok, if you read my previous email, you know I made a serious mistake and accidently deleted /var/lib/dpkg/status while I was cleaning out the old status files to save some
space.

Obviously, dpkg now has no idea of what packages are installed on my system, and
is broken.

Is there any way to generate a new status file from all the info, etc that dpkg keeps
under /var/lib/dpkg?

Are their any good file recovery programs for debian, so that I might have a chance of
recovering one of the status files, such as status.old or status.yesterday.0?

Or am I just plain looking at reinstalling everything from scratch? Last I remember my status files(s) were about 3.5 megs each, as I am running a fully updated potato
system.

Any help would be most appreiciated.

Todd