Mailing list headers [Was Re: ssh vs telnet - which is faster?]

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Steve Lamb wrote:

> Friday, December 10, 1999, 4:04:47 AM, RAVIKANT wrote:
> > * DO NOT BOTHER CC-ING THE MAIL REPLY , BECAUSE I AM ALREADY SUBSCRIBED TO
> > ALL THE LISTS - ILUGC , LINUX-INDIA , LINUX-NEWBIE , DEBIAN-USER *
>
>     Might I suggest having them set reply-tos like all proper lists so people
> don't have to munge headers to get to the right list or get bounces from lists
> they are not subscribed to?

Steve,

	I think that this is a bad suggestion since there are some people
(such as me) who use the Reply-To headers to ensure that the recipients
have a valid reply address to reply to us. If the mailing list rewrites
the Reply-To by putting itself in that header, then the valid reply
address is lost.

	Furthermore, I think that the original problem of getting two
copies of the same mail can be solved easily by using procmail.

Regards,
Kenneth