can't get to network after changing drive

I'm trying not to use any bad words here . . .

They found another drive to try again at replacing my failing drive.
I can't get a good image out of the old one with dd; it ends too soon
and I get an unusable file system (mounting panics the kernel).

I finally gave in, and reinstalled on the new disk.  No matter what I
do, I can't get it to talk to the network.  I've even used cp to
duplicate /etc and /lib/modules.  Just to taunt me further, if I use
lilo to boot from the old drive, mounted on the second chanel, I can
get to the network (which is how I'm writing this).

It's an smc card with the 21040 (or whatever), which uses the tulip
driver. The networking around here is all ipx.  I have the tulip & ipx
drivers installed (and I've tried without the ipx driver).  I can find
no difference between the two installations, yet only the damaged one
can get to the network.

I've even tried FreeBSD boot disks, which correctly identify the card,
but tells me that it can't resolve the ftp server's name (the freebsd
version of "*thtpt* can't reach the network *nyah,nyah."
I can't think of anywhere else to look.

Also, even without the network, once I load tulip with modprobe it
announces that it cannot be unloaded because it's in use--even though
it's the only module and the network hadn't yet been started.

I'm stuck. I'm desparate.  I need this machine as an Xserver to put
out grade sheets (it really does nothing more than Xserver, lyx, and
exmh).

Rick