Re: Newbie rudely asks for directional pointers

On Thu, Dec 09, 1999 at 01:35:49PM -0800, Darryl Röthering wrote:
> MVS!). I just got an old CD-less laptop loaded up with the basic Debian. Can
> anyone give me some profitable pointers for determining what packages I need
> to install under dselect? I think I should put in the admin and shell and vi
> and development stuff first, but am unsure what the best way to proceed is.

First off, there is _no_ such thing as rudely asking for help.  There is
such a thing as rudely answering requests for help.  Perhaps you've
encountered a few of the latter. :)

We may assume that this laptop has a relatively small drive?  I would
suggest picking one of the smaller default setups to install with.
Then, peruse the package tree for packages you would like installed, as
you need them.  On the CD or FTP site, one of the useful directories is:

/dists/stable/main/binary-i386

> I also had a major problem getting the Debian linux installed via the
> floppy. I was told that this was due to an inverted DCL in the floppy drive,
> which required a different boot parameter. This took care of the problem,
> but I am wondering if I will continue to have this problem with each package
> I attempt to install. The reason why I wonder this, is that I don't seem to

I have no idea what an inverted DCL is... VMS backwards? :)

--
William Burrow -- New Brunswick, Canada
A 'box' is something that accomplishes a task -- you feed in input and