Newbie rudely asks for directional pointers

Hi:

I am a Debian newbie, with a moderate knowledge of Unix and a long history of Mainframe system programming (I go back to when source was available for MVS!). I just got an old CD-less laptop loaded up with the basic Debian. Can anyone give me some profitable pointers for determining what packages I need to install under dselect? I think I should put in the admin and shell and vi and development stuff first, but am unsure what the best way to proceed is.

I also had a major problem getting the Debian linux installed via the floppy. I was told that this was due to an inverted DCL in the floppy drive, which required a different boot parameter. This took care of the problem, but I am wondering if I will continue to have this problem with each package I attempt to install. The reason why I wonder this, is that I don't seem to be able to mount /dev/fd0 to /floppy. Is there anyone else who had this inverted DCL problem out there?

Thanks in advance,

Darryl