Re: Can't install gnome-apt? Also zipping .deb file on Win98

On Wed, Dec 08, 1999 at 12:41:09PM -0500, Tam Than Ma wrote:

> Also. I download a 12.1MB or so .deb file yesterday my window 98 box. My
> intention was to download and zip it up using WinZip 7.0 so that it would
> fit on a floppy and I can transfer that file to my Linox box, but WinZip
> would NOT zip .deb. It actually did create another zip for the deb file but
> the zip file is still the same size as the original debian. I wonder why
> WinZip could NOT zip .deb file, can anyone tell me. Also is there or how do
> you zip a .deb on a win98 system?

That is because .deb files are internally compressed already. They contain
two gzip compressed files (one for the control data and one for the actual
package files). So there is no way to really zip them down any further.

`     bcollins@debian.org  -  collinbm@djj.state.va.us  -  bmc@visi.net    '