Problem: dselect "Select" function stopped working

Hi,

I am using debian 2.1 and I have performed a few operations on deb packages by hand ("apt-get install somepackage" and "apt-get update") and now I can't get dselect to work any more. It hangs in an eternal loop after I go to the "Select" function. I ran "lsof" and it showed that a file "/var/lib/dpkg/updates/tmp.i" was being open (but that file does not contain anything interesting).

Any help will be appreciated!
Regards,
Serge