source build cluelessness (prc-tools && pppd)

Hello!

I have had problems building a number of packages now, and am hoping
someone could lend some pointers.  I actually got someone to pay me to
code on a Win32 project, so am somewhat familiar with programming (or
at least I like to pretend), but I have gotten hit again and again
while working with debian source packages.  I had thought that this
wouldn't be an issue since the source packages are supposed to make
things idiot proof, but I guess I am proving that wrong. :)

I'll detail what I am doing and hopefully someone can correct me.  My
system is basicly slink with everything installed via .deb's.

Problem 1. prc-tools.
I created a /usr/local/src/prc-tools, and ran dpgk-source to create
the appropriate subdirectory.
I go to the subdirectory and run debian/rules.
This seems to do all the extraction and build binutils and
gcc... then:

--SNIP--
do \
  echo ${name}; \
  ./xgcc -B./ -O2  -DCROSS_COMPILE -DIN_GCC   -g -I./include
-Dinhibit_libc -g1 -I. -I. -I./config -c -DL${name} libgcc1.S; \
  if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then true; else exit 1; fi; \
  mv libgcc1.o ${name}.o; \
  /usr/m68k-palmos-coff/bin/ar rc tmplibgcc1.a ${name}.o; \
  rm -f ${name}.o; \
done
_mulsi3
as: unrecognized option `-no-68881'
make[2]: *** [libgcc1-asm.a] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/usr/local/src/prc-tools/prc-tools-0.5.0r/othersources/gcc-2.7.2.2'
make[1]: *** [stamp.gcc] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/prc-tools/prc-tools-0.5.0r'
make: *** [build] Error 2
--SNIP--

Which kind of leaves me in a bind because it seems to me that I might
need that -no-68881 flag. :)

OK, Problem 2. ppp. My goal here is to take ppp 2.3.5 (the slink
version) and patch it up to 2.3.10 (the potato version) (since
apparently kernel 2.2.12 really wants ppp to be pretty recent).

To start, I follow the same steps as above. Grab the source files,
make the directory in /usr/local/src. go into the target directory and
run debian/rules. Again everything builds fine until:
--SNIP--
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/ppp-2.3.5/pppd'
cc -O2 -pipe -Wall -g -D_linux_=1 -DHAVE_PATHS_H -DIPX_CHANGE
-I../include -DCHAPMS=1 -DUSE_CRYPT=1 -DHAVE_CRYPT_H=1 -DHAS_SHADOW
-DUSE_PAM   -c auth.c -o auth.
auth.c:60: security/pam_appl.h: No such file or directory
--SNIP--
At which time gcc goes on a error/warning bender as it is want to do.

I looked through the debian subdirectories but didn't find any doc on
build dependencies.

Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Now ObStupidUserRant:
<RANT>
This is making me feel pretty stupid.  I've never had problems
building from tarballs, in all the years I've used Linux, and I am
vexed that I do have problems with debian source packages.

Is this a problem with me? The source packaging system? The
documentation for building? Or the communication channel that would
bring the knowledge I need to do this correctly to me as a user?
(without having to appeal to people who have good things to be doing
with their time)
</RANT>

Of course, the problem with rants is they generate more heat than
light, but I really am frustrated with this.

Thanks again,

Jonathan

ps. For what it is worth, I have found this mailing list to be my best
resource for problem solving wrt debian and Linux in general, and
would like to take this opportunity to thank all of those people who
go out of their way to help others!
--
jjlupa@jamdata.net
GPG public key available from http://www.jamdata.net/~jjlupa/gpg.asc