Problems with SILO (Sparc slink)

Hi,

I just got hold of an old Sparc IPC that nobody used anymore and tried
to install Debian on it after swapping the defective first hard disk
with an old scsi disk lying around (with an old i386 Debian on it..)

The installation worked quite well (it /is/ fun seeing tux for the
first time on a Sun..) until silo run.  It complains that I have to
push down /boot/second.b into an area below the magic 1GB boundary.
But how can I do this when I only have a 512MB disk :) ??

I even checked with debugfs and (after some shifting around) managed
to get /boot/second.b to be in the first 1000 blocks.  I don't think I
can move it any farther to the beginning.  So it seems to be something
more obvious.

I am also a bit confused about the "whole disk" partition memtioned in
the (short) silo docs.  As my disk was used on i386 Debian before I
left the partitioning alone /dev/sda1 -> /, /dev/sda2 -> swap (both
primary partitions).  Did I miss something here?

When I now boot with the newly created boot floppy, I tried entering
`sd(0)/vmlinuz' at the prompt but OpenBoot complained about sd0 not
responding.  I thought I should be able to boot a kernel on sda1 at
the silo prompt.  Is this not so?

I also tried booting with the 2.2.1 kernel but then neither tux
displayed correctly nor was the text mode initialized correctly.  Was
this to be expected??

Thanks for the help and please CC me as I am not subscribed to
debian-user.

Cheers
  Detlev

--
Practice random senselessness and act kind of beautiful.