Re: molassus after bios reset & massive ipx collisions

Richard Replied,
> On Fri, Dec 03, 1999 at 05:13:52PM -0600, Richard E. Hawkins wrote:

> On alot of MB there is a jumper which if shorted resets the bios, probably
> thats what they did.  When you do this you lose _all_ your settings.
> Make sure internal and external cache are turned on in the bios
> (advanced settings? don't know which bios you have), that more than
> anything will bring your machine to a _halt_.  Also check memory/bus
> timings..

Yop, that seems to be it.  The external cache setting was the only one
I could find--and it was off.  Now this system is back to its normal
cranky self--a P5/120/24mb with about the same performance as my 486/50/
20mb laptop . . . \bitch{they got rid of computers slower than this at
ISU for *secretaries* two generations ago--and 8mb of this is memory
from one of the kids' machine!}

> > In the past someone told me that this was do to the windows 95 machines
> > on the network.

> Not sure about this, IRQ conflict with NIC?  Just grasping here...
> Is it P&P card?

It's apparently not my machine, but something else on the IPX network.
The problem is that the system seems to think it's important to tell me
this, which renders the consoles unusable until I find a few minutes to
look up how to ignore them . . .

> > Also, my hard drive is failing (which was why we had to go through
> > this).  The replacement drive used to work; i successfully mounted
> > partitions on it.  Today, when I tried to use it for the first time in
> > weeks, it simply doesn't talk to the controller (and in fact stops the
> > boot during the bios--can't even get into the bios configuration due to
> > trying to talk to the cdrive.

> Eeeek, I'm confused.  You are able to boot linux but CMOS setup won't
> work?  Or detect drives doesn't work?

I set the bios to disallow floppy boot, then password protected it.
I'm assuming that I managed to commit the same typo twice . . .

> I did have a strange problem once where linux would boot and kind of work
> but setup died, as in hung the machine.  It turned out to be an error
> in the MB manual about the jumper for memory voltage.

the "new" drive had been pulled from another identical machine that
died.  dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdc , then swapping the drives, gota
LIL-, but I was able to mount the partitions after swapping back.  Now
the drive appears completely dead--even in other machines.

I suppose I bring in the old 540mb drive from one of the kids machines
which only works as a slave, make it /, and mount the primary (dying)
drive as ro for /usr . . .

thanks greatly,

Rick, who really hopes he lands somewhere with better equipment next
year . . .

--
Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
                                               hawk@hawkins.cba.uni.edu