molassus after bios reset & massive ipx collisions

Argh.  This is almost impossbile to type--it's several seconds behind
me . . .

I got the tech folks to reset my bios (password was apparently misset).
 My machine is now as slow as mollassus.  At the same time, I find that
the network collisions have moved up from twice a minute to twice a
second.  I don't know which to blame.  The network message is:

Dec  3 17:06:17 hawkins kernel: IPX: Network number collision 24899
Dec  3 17:06:17 hawkins kernel:         eth0 802.2 and eth0 802.3

In the past someone told me that this was do to the windows 95 machines
on the network.

I really don't know what to blame for this, or where to start looking.

Also, my hard drive is failing (which was why we had to go through
this).  The replacement drive used to work; i successfully mounted
partitions on it.  Today, when I tried to use it for the first time in
weeks, it simply doesn't talk to the controller (and in fact stops the
boot during the bios--can't even get into the bios configuration due to
trying to talk to the cdrive.

rick, rustrated

p.s.  The machine is a gateway p5-120; the drive a caviar 1G.

--
Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
                                               hawk@hawkins.cba.uni.edu