NE2500 NIC

I just salvaged a P100 system that the local university was throwing out and
am trying to set it up with an NE2500 ethernet card.  The card, however, is
not cooperating... thanks to Plug 'n' Pray.

I've found a Red Hat-based NE2500 howto, but it basically boils down to
'install the system using a different NIC, then swap cards and manually edit
the configuration to use the new one'.  The only ISA NICs I have, however,
are a pair of NE2500s and the card that was in the machine when I got it -
and I have no idea what kind of card that one is.  (Google searches on the
more important-looking of the numbers on the chips turned up no matches.  The
only text is the name "Fil-Mag" on one of the chips, which allowed me to
identify the chip as a filter.)

The NE2500s have a DOS-based config program which supposedly lets you turn
PnP off, but it complains that the card's EEPROM is the wrong revision and I
need to run the NE2500 patch program.  None of the three floppies that came
with the card contain any programs whose names suggest that they might patch
the EEPROM and the (pathetic) docs don't mention it either.  A Google search
for "ne2500 patch" only turned up sites where they sell both NE2500s and
patch cables...

So, any suggestions on how I might get the NE2500s to work for me and/or
identify the mystery NIC?

--
Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+ !K
w---$ O M- !V PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv- b++ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+