certain X apps don't work on debian xservers?

Hi,

I've had some problems with X apps compiled on hpux not displaying on
debian systems. I've tried xserver-mach64 from slink and slink-update
(dpks -s reports versions 3.3.2.3a-11 and 3.3.5-1.99.slink.0).

 ssh to hp machine (twin) from debian machine, and run software with
 DISPLAY pointing back to debian machine

 twin ~ $ /tools/avanti/hpux10/polaris/designacc/bin/signalscan -vendor avanti

 fatal: FATAL ERROR: MSG 0x0034deb2 [CAT 3/4 STD 57010 ]
 Category: XVT release 3 assert (Signaled assert4)
 Function: xvt_app_create
 File:     ./kpalet.c line: 479

 Recursive call to msg or fatal: FATAL ERROR within last chance error handler
 exiting application
 twin ~ $

The software works fine when displaying to another hp machine or to a
windows machine running eXceed. But it doesn't work with xfree86 or the
demo version of AcceleratedX.

Any suggestions? Does the message look like anything having to do with
X? Please cc me in responses since I'm not on the list now.

Thanks,
Lee