Re: back to the mouse problem

On Sat, 4 Dec 1999, Nancy this-address-is-valid McGough wrote:

nm >I can't figure out how to use it. Anyway I think the problem is
nm >that my ethernet card (eth0) is using IRQ 3 and according to the

that would be a problem.

nm > ttyS0 is at 0x02F8 and using irq3

according to the setserial manpage the kernel does not detect actual com
port paramters it just sets them according to what it thinks is right.

[from the man page]

During the normal bootup process, only COM ports  1-4  are
initialized,  using  the default I/O ports and IRQ values,as
listed below.

The "standard MS-DOS" port associations are given below:

/dev/ttyS0 (COM1), port 0x3f8, irq 4
/dev/ttyS1 (COM2), port 0x2f8, irq 3
/dev/ttyS2 (COM3), port 0x3e8, irq 4
/dev/ttyS3 (COM4), port 0x2e8, irq 3
[end excerpt]

I find it best to go into the BIOS and hardcode the com port settings to
what is accepted as "defaults" (see above) and not let the system just
pick an irq and i/o address.

On my system the kernel says:
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
ttyS03 at 0x02e8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A

then i use setserial to change the config to:
/dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
/dev/ttyS1, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x02f8, IRQ: 3
/dev/ttyS3, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x02e8, IRQ: 2

(in this case IRQ2 is the same as IRQ9 something else i learned during the
configuration of this machine for 3 com ports)

nm >I'm so relieved that I have my network working finally (after
nm >spending ALL DAY yesterday on it) that I'm really not looking
nm >forward to messing with eth0.

Depends on the card.  most cards hafve a dos based config tool that let
you change the options on the card itself, to take it out of PnP mode and
slap it into non PnP.  Even if your card does not have such a tool if it
is using a commonly used chipset you most likely can go to another
vendor's utilities and use them.  I did this with a generica NE2000
compadible card, i went and grabbed DLINK's dos utilties to card code my
card to an acceptable address and irq.  Also if possible go to the bios
and hard code the COM settings, and tell the bios that IRQ3 and 4 are set
to non PnP mode(not all bios's have this feature, AWARD does as does
AMI).  And tell the machine to reload the PnP data, this option is also in
the bios, could be labled "Reset Configuration Data" or "Update NVRAM" or
something similar.

nate