Re: back to the mouse problem

Nancy this-address-is-valid McGough wrote:

> Thanks to everyone who helped me get out of the X loop I was in.
> Now I'm back to trying to get my mouse to work. It's a serial
> mouse on Com1 (it worked with that setting in Win95) and I've
> tried setting the mouse device to ttyS0 in both
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config and /etc/gpm.conf but that hasn't

Since /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config is simply a link to
/etc/X11/XF86Config, you can save yourself some typing by editing the
letter file instead of the symbolic link file.

Instead of editing /etc/gpm.conf, try running gpmconfig; during that
you'll get an option to test your setup that can help you get things
ironed out.

> worked. I've also tried ttyS1 and ttyS2 but those didn't work
> either. I tried running XF86Setup but since I don't have a mouse
> I can't figure out how to use it.

Use the TAB and arrow keys, and spacebar and ENTER; very similar to
working in MS-Windows without a mouse.

> Anyway I think the problem is
> that my ethernet card (eth0) is using IRQ 3 and according to the
> BIOS info that is displayed at boot, and the info that the linux
> displays at boot:
>
>  ttyS0 is at 0x02F8 and using irq3
>
> So I'm thinking that I have to get these to be using different
> IRQs but I'm wondering what's the best way to change one of them.
> I'm so relieved that I have my network working finally (after
> spending ALL DAY yesterday on it) that I'm really not looking
> forward to messing with eth0.

I assume you used the DOS utility to get your NIC to a specific IRQ; I
nearly always put my NICs on IRQ 11 or 10 and IOBase 0x300; they seldom
interfere with other devices there.

Alternatively, you can go into your CMOS setup (probably F1 or DEL
during the pre-boot POST (Power-On Self Test) and specify that your
serial port should be on some other IRQ. However, IRQ 3 is pretty much
THE standard for the first serial port, so I'd recommend you change the
NIC instead of the serial port.

If you do change the serial port's IRQ, you'll probably have to make
other changes as well in software, such as in /etc/rc.boot/0setserial
and modem-related files, etc.