[no subject]

Making a little progress here.  Many thanks to John Pearson for the most
recent increment.

Next:

1.  Not sure whether my installation completed.  I was looking at someone's
comments about editing a file in /usr/src/linux, so I tried to go there.  But
I don?t seem to have any such directory.  Here?s what I get at the command
prompt:

debian:/usr/src# dir
debian:/usr/src#

In other words, there seems to be nothing in there.  Is this normal?  Also,
when I type ?man? at the prompt, I get ?command not found.?  In general terms,
is there a diagnostic that verifies I got the whole enchilada installed?

2.  I am making spiritual preparations for the long trek through dselect, in
the hope that if I strictly control what files get installed, I can avoid
Microsoft-style bloat.  Am I correct in thinking that dselect is structured in
such a way as to support this fond hope?  Will I bloat if I instead use a
profile?  Is there a way to invoke the profiler outside of the installation
sequence?  (It didn?t arise during installation, for some reason.)

3.  Is there a good source of reviews on Linux software:  (a) Am I correct in
surmising that I must choose from among more than several Linux windowing/GUI
schemes?  (b) Point-by-point objective comparisons of versions of Emacs?  (c)
High-quality discussions of various utilities, office suites, etc.?

4.  Am I roughly correct in thinking that, after the installation is done, the
next thing is to install the windowing/GUI software, and then after that it?s
a free-for-all in which I will just install as many pieces of application
software as I can stomach?  Along those lines, can I rest my faith in Emacs as
my do-all Swiss Army knife, or should I be expecting to install eight trillion
utilities and gizmos?

Thanks all ...