Re: cfdisk table: unusable space??

On Fri, Dec 03, 1999 at 01:11:05PM +0100, J Horacio MG wrote

> Looking at the cfsdisk table, I've just seen this (just look at the last
> line of the table):
>
> hda1   Boot	Primary		Linux ext2		78.45
> hda2		Primary		Linux ext2		78.45
> hda5		Logical		Linux ext2		1498.25
> hda6		Logical		Linux ext2		353.00
> hda7		Logical		Linux ext2		596.17
> hda8		Logical		Linux ext2		698.14
> hda9		Logical		Linux ext2		1098.20
> hda10		Logical		Linux ext2		1396.28
> hda11		Logical		Linux ext2		1396.28
> hda12		Logical		Linux ext2		376.53
> hda13		Logical		Linux ext2		266.71
> hda3		Primary		Linux Swap		196.11
> 				Unusable		172.58
>
> Unusable???  what does this mean?

It means you can't use it :)

This reflects the limitations of DOS partition talbes, used by
Linux/i386.  The main partition table can have only four entries,
one (or more?) of which can be an "Extended Partition", a range
of tracks that can contain logical partitions.

You main partition table looks like this:
  Name	Type        Tracks
  hda1	Primary	    1 -   10
  hda2  Primary    11 -   20
  hda4  Extended   21 -  999
  hda3  Primary  1000 - 1024

hda5 - hda13 are logical partitions within hda4.

This leaves tracks 1025-1045 not in any partition, and all
four partition tables used.  You cannot use it to make
another logical partition because the free space isn't
contiguous with your current extended partition.

You could swapoff /dev/hda3 and then delete it and re-create
it either as a larger partition (cylinders 1000 +) or as an
extended partition (in which case it and the space it uses
will be merged with /dev/hda4, freeing a partition table entry).
If you do make it an extended partition, its name will probably
change to /dev/hda14.

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au