Re: How can I change a password from a script?

On Dec 03, Enrico Zini wrote:
> I'm root, I'm on a Debian Slink or on a Debian Potato, and I would
> like to present my intranet users a web page to change their
> passwords.  It would be easy to do, if I just had to work with the
> good old /etc/passwd database: read the old password, verify it,
> encrypt the new one and change it in passwd.

How do you prevent people from cracking passwords via your web page?
I'm still looking for a secure way to accept passwords via HTML - even
with SSL, from what I understand the available authentication stuff
isn't suitable for use with /etc/passwd.  It's too easy for someone
to write a brute-force password scanner that won't leave traces.