Supported video chip-sets

Hello,
I am going to buy a new computer, but which video adapter/chip-set ?
Many powerful new computers come with things like
Matrox G400 or NVidia Riva TNT2.
I am still using Slink with XFree 3.3.2, where these chips are not
supported. However they are supported in potatoe with XFree86 3.3.5.

Does this mean that I _have _ to upgrade in order to use them,
or  can i use them in Slink without their extra functionality ?
For upgrading I prefer to wait for a stable potatoe,
or at least for potato-cdroms.

There are some completely new chip-set brands in 3.3.5, such as
3dfx  with Voodoo Banshee and Voodoo3,
3DLabs with GLINT and Permedia chips.
I don't even dare to ask.

And some Diamond cards come with a 'Savage 4', which I cannot find
in any XFree86 documentation. What is it ?
egbert

Egbert Bouwman - Keizersgracht 197 II - 1016 DS  Amsterdam - 020 6257991