Re: firewalls and bsd

Kenneth Scharf <scharkalvin@yahoo.com> writes:

> If there are any debian-bsd people here maybe they can
> answer this.  I have been doing some reading and have
> heard that some of the BSD variants are considered a
> better canidate os for a firewall system than linux
> (herertic!).  OpenBSD in particular was highly
> regarded  in this (though it was said to be a RPITA to
> install).  Any thoughts on this out there?

Reportedly, *BSD's have the fastest TCI/IP stack in the industry. They
are also pretty secure, out of the box. For example, while Linux
mounts disk partitions asynchronously, my FreeBSD installation mounts
syncronously by default.

I run Debian on my main workstation, and FreeBSD on my
NAT/Firewall/www-server/cvs-server box. That one is a P133/32M, and
copes beautifully with the load (well, the load is not *that* great).

Also, I cannot help but admire FreeBSD's mechanisms for
updates/upgrades. IMHO the "ports collection" system is remarkable.

It was very easy to install and configure.
HTH,
--
Arcady Genkin                                http://wgaf.dyndns.org
"'What good is my pity? Is not the pity the cross upon which he who