Re: disk error at scheduled time

On 1 Dec 1999, Martyn Pearce wrote:

> Mario Olimpio de Menezes writes:
> | 	I forgot to say that I already did this: went to single mode (init
> | 1), then ran: mount -t ext2 -r -o remount,ro /dev/sdaX /mount-point
> | 	Then, e2fsck -c /dev/sdaX
> |
> | 	Well, no badblocks, no problem at all in the whole disk.
> | 	Where/what should I look for now?
>
> Interesting.  Where is this box located?  If at home, does your heating
> switch on shortly before this time?  Anything on the same power supply
> kicking in?  Is the machine permanently networked --- if so, is there
> some network process occuring?

Yes, it's interesting.
The box is at work (here). I think the hardware (fan cooler, power supply,
etc) is OK. This is a new machine (arrived last friday Nov 26th).

Yes, the machine is permanently networked but I can't say which other
processes are running at that exact time.

My main surprise is that under a high load -- lot of disk access, lot of
memory usage, lot cpu usage, the machine didn't present any kind of error.

I have no idea what is happening here!

Some help?

[]s,
Mario O.de Menezes            "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but
    IPEN-CNEN/SP                 is the Lord's purpose that prevails"
http://curiango.ipen.br/~mario                 Prov. 19.21
                   http://www.revistalinux.com.br