Re: what happened to netstd?

On 25-Nov-99 George Bonser wrote:

> Tell me about it. I had to go all over the place stamping out things like
> rwhod, rsh-server, rthisd and rthatd.
>
> That netstd package is a major security problem. I fail to see why it
> installs all that crap on installation OR on removal. I can understand a
> metapackage installing a bunch of things but 1. It should be clearly
> spelled out in the package description what new daemons have been added to
> the meta package and 2. that REMOVING the package will cause a bunch of
> stuff to be installed anyway.
>
> r services should, in my personal opinion,  never be part of a
> meta-package unless the meta package clearly shows this in its name ...

Actually, this is what the debian maintainers are out to fix.  Since
netstd was required, and the rwhatever services were included in it,
you pretty-much had to have them, evne though many (most) never used them.
Now, netstd is being broken-up into smaller packages.  Since you had
netstd, you had rlogind.  The way the packages are set up, when you remove
netstd, it is replaced with whatever used to be in netstd, like rwhod,
rlogind, etc.  It seems to be the logical thing to do.  Replace netstd
with all the new packages that were in netstd. Except now you have to go
through and make sure none of those rfoo services are running.

Bryan