Re: eth0+ppp0 ?

Shaul Karl writes:
> Suppose both eth0 and ppp0 are connected to the Internet. Is there a way
> the user can determine dynamically if he gets connected through ppp0 or
> eth0?

I don't think there is any way for a user to do that with existing tools.
Root could muck about with the routing table to create explicit routes.

> For example, can I tell terminal A apt-get to work through ppp0 and
> terminal B ftp to work through eth0?

If the two apt-get's are talking to different hosts, root could create two
different explicit routes.  If they are talking to the same host, I don't
know any way to do it with existing tools.  I think it could be done with
source-routing, but I don't know how to do that with existing tools, and I
think most hosts will refuse source-routed packets anyway.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org