Silo problem (SPARC potato)

Hello --

Recently upgraded a Sun Ultra-10 (sun4u) machine from Solaris 2.5.1 to
Debian slink.  After the install I upgraded to potato (apt-get upgrade)
and then installed the kernel-image-2.2.13-sun4u.  When it installed
the new version of Silo it replaced my /etc/silo.conf with a file filled
with comments and nothing relevant to my system configuration.  When I
rebooted, I got:

    boot: cannot find /vmlinuz (unknown ext2 error)

To get it to start up I had to type (not exactly obvious!):

    1/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.13

After this I replaced the upgraded /etc/silo.conf with the older version,
but rebooting still didn't work automatically.  Here's what's in my
/etc/silo.conf:

    partition = 1
    root = /dev/hda1
    timeout = 100
    image = /vmlinux
        label = linux
        read-only
    image = /vmlinux.old
        label = old
        read-only

And here's df -h

    /dev/hda1             384M   16M  348M   4% /
    /dev/hda7             774M   95M  639M  13% /var
    /dev/hda8             2.6G  216M  2.3G   8% /usr
    /dev/hdb1             3.6G  2.4G  1.0G  70% /home

Can anyone suggest what I've done wrong?  I tried running silo, even though
the SPARC FAQ led me to believe this was unnecessary.  Did the /etc/silo.conf
configuration change after the upgrade?  I'm afraid the documentation didn't
really help me much.

Thanks to those who replied to my earlier query about running Debian on
a SPARC platform.  I have a warm feeling now that my mail and web server
is running Debian, and other than the booting problem, I'm quite happy.

Chris
--
Christopher S. Swingley           tel: 907-474-2689 fax: 474-2643
930 Koyukuk Drive, Suite 408C     email: cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu

PGP key: http://www.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu:8080/~cswingle/pubkey.asc