Potato upgrade

After a long battle with an upgrade to potato from a very customized slink am
allmost happy. I just miss one thing:
I cannot start gdm due to some wierd problem. It complains about the user and
group for /var/gdm. Supposedly they should be nobody:deamon but that doesn't
work either. In Slink it was root who owned everything regarding to gdm. Has
that changed?

Another thing. When I install new packages from dselect I get an error:
Cannot find termcap: Can't find a valid termcap file at
/usr/lib/perl5/5.005/Term/ReadLine.pm line 305

Is this a general error (I haven't seen it on any other potato-machines)?
--
Sven Esbjerg
http://www.dina.dk/~joker