Re: kernel config

On Mon, Nov 29, 1999 at 10:25:30AM +1300, zdrysdal@diagnostic.co.nz wrote:
> Hi, i have a few questions :
>
> is there any way to find out the configuration settings of an active kernel
> other than using the .config file.?

Do a make xconfig (Or whatever) and read the settings. they will be the same
as that of the current kernel.

> Does the kernel for Debian have to be Debian specific or are Linux kernels
> used generically?  ie. kernel used for Debian can be used for RedHat.
>
> is kernel 2.0.37 a stable kernel?

Yes. Old, but stable.

> are kernels version specific?  ie... can a 2.2.x kernel work on debian
> 1.3(bo)?

No, each kernel has certain requirements, at 2.2.x kernel needs a version of
pppd that isn't available, and probably won't compile for 1.3. go to
kernelnotes.org and / or read the kernel how-to for more info.
--
Ben Lutgens 	http://cybercreep.mosquitonet.com	icq#10836629

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein