Re: Netscape configuration; Fortify

Hi!

"Eric G . Miller" <egm2@jps.net> writes:
> On Sat, Nov 27, 1999 at 09:50:02PM +0100, Matthias Hertel wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I can't get Fortify (fortify 1.4.5-1, fortify-linux-x86 1.4.5-1) to
> > patch my Netscape Navigator (navigator-smotif-47 4.7-14). Is it
> > possible that this particular Navigator binary
> > (/usr/lib/netscape/47/navigator/navigator.smotif.real, 7220976 bytes,
> > timestamp Sep 16 07:58) is not supported by Fortify? Or am I doing
> > something wrong?
>
> Hmm, non-US still doesn't have the updated fortify? I'm using 4.61
> Navigator so it's supported. You can also get fortify from their
> website. The latest version there should support 4.71.

Fortify's /usr/share/fortify/Index file contains quite a lot of
entries for 4.7 versions (both Communicator and Navigator). There is
even a line with a file size of 7220976 bytes:

7220976  - 74c337138775c23a067444a69cff00eb nav 4.7 0 2 \ morphs-1.2 x86-unknown-linux2.0 -

But fortify's install-script failed to patch my Navigator, and
manually invoking fortify doesn't work either. Any ideas what I could
try to verify that the above line indeed matches my Navigator binary?
And if it does, how do I explain that to fortify?

> > And one other problem: What is the simplest way to get Netscape to
> > display .dvi.gz and .ps.gz files (the TeTeX documentation has lots of
> > these)?
>
> I have netscape launch gv for files ending in ps,eps,ai and xdvi for
> files ending in dvi. I'm under the impression that it gunzips them
> before handing them off. Although gv handles the gzipped files no
> problem, I've found xdvi is so good about it (despite what the man pages
> say).

I use see from the mime-support package to view gzipped .ps und .dvi
files from the shell prompt. It looks up the file type in the mailcap
file and launches the appropriate program after running gunzip. But
(my) Netscape doesn't know that a .dvi.gz is just a gzipped .dvi file.
And offers me to save it instead of running xdvi or see. My question
was whether I need to add a lot of rules for .*.gz (* =
dvi,ps,eps,txt...) files in Edit|Preferences|Applications, or if there
is some clever way to tell Netscape how to handle all .*.gz files
where it knows how to handle the .* part.

Thanks a lot
Matthias