Re: GNULinux [Comdex]

I didn't see a reply to this, so I thought I'd through in my 1.575128 Euro's
worth.

James;

     Installing Linux, Debian or otherwise can be a very daunting experience for
someone from the Windows world. I know, I'm still climbing the learning curve,
but I've made some progress and would like to return the favour by offering help
where I can.

First, get to know the mail lists. They are your friends! I've gotten lots of
help on various subjects and have made lots of progress with their help.
Second, check the DOC's. Lots of good info is there, you just have to dig for
it, and lots of it is over the standard Windows user. This is improving, though.
Third, try to be specific about your problem. Pick the first one, identify
exactly where you're having difficulty and spell it out for us.

Now, to log in as Administrator, the user name is root. Try to avoid using this,
though. It can cause major headaches. When you are logged in as yourself, you
can use

su

to login as root, it will ask you for roots password and give you root powers.
Again, be VERY careful with this. Any mistakes made as root are unforgiving and
may result in having to re-install everything again.

Reply to me with specific questions, and I'll do my best to help. Be sure to
copy debian-user@lists.debian.org, incase someone else knows more than I do. I
just started a year ago and still have lots of problems to overcome. But the
liberating experience of knowing exactly what is on my PC and how to add or
remove things is more than worth the problems I've had so far.

I hope I can help you get started.

Cheers,

     John Gay