Re: GNULinux [Comdex]

    James> I have installed Debian Linux 3 times and am still
    James> stuck. Not every one has a degree in computer science!

You have sent this to me, the maintainer of the diskless boot
package for Debian.

As I don't think this message is directly aimed at me, I have CCed
this to the mailing list dedicated to solve user problem with Debian
(debian-user). I think somebody else will be able to respond better
then I can.

(note to debian-user: please ensure you reply to James.)

    James> Have found the Partitioning info lacking [every where] it
    James> appears Debian does its own sub-partitioning i.e.-tmp,
    James> home, var. Yes?  Is good but why not say so? I used
    James> Partition Magic to set up Ext2 and Swp.

Debian is Unix. While you could have /tmp, /home, and /var in
different partitions, it is probably not a good idea unless
you have an advanced understanding of how everything works.

Just install everything in the one partition.

Then again, perhaps I misunderstood what you meant by
"sub-partitioning".  Somebody else might be able to explain better.

    James> Time/Clock set up is unclear, Las Vegas, NV is not listed.

Possibly a bug, I don't know. Don't live anywhere near there ;-)

    James> Key touch is VERY sensitive, caused one new installation.

    James> What is a "block device"? ide0?

That would refer to your hard disk.

    James> Does not seem to read my CD Rom when installing Basic.

I am afraid that doesn't tell me much about the problem. What do you
mean "Does not seem"? Does it come up with any errors?

    James> Need HELP on this one....How do I get back in to the root
    James> as the administrator so I can finish installing packages?
    James> I have the password but don't know the "name" it wants. One
    James> was never established when installing.  My User acct. & PW
    James> works fine but can NOT finish or install anything! such as
    James> X-comp.

Perhaps somebody could recommend a good book and/or other source of
information on Unix.

PS: you don't mention what version of Debian you are trying to install.
That might be important...
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>