Leafnode, fetchnews and cron jobs

Hi all,

I decided to set up leafnode for reading mail with slrn. I have
everyhting set up okay, AFAIK.

I guess leafnode runs from cron.daily, but I want to pull down new
messages more frequently. I created the following file in cron.d:

  # /etc/cron.d/leafnode: crontab fragment for leafnode

  # Run queue every 30 minutes
  15,45 *     * * *     news   /usr/sbin/fetchnews

I'm not up to snuff on writing these, so I copied the file for exim
and edited it by refering to the man page for crontab(5).

The problem is, it never gets my new mail.

I can pull mail by running fetchnews by hand. I even got a message
from anacron saying:

  lockfile /var/lock/news/fetchnews.lck exists, abort ...

This lead me to believe that it would work. However, a couple hours
have gone by, and I have yet to pull any new news messages.

Am I doing this wrong? If so, can someone shed some light on this for
me?

Thanks in advance...
--
                                      __   _