IDE device a win-device?

I went shopping for a CD-ROM drive this weekend, and nearly all the drives I
saw said they "Support Windows (various versions) and OS/2)". I always thought
an IDE device was an IDE device was an IDE device, but this makes me wonder if
these drives are some sort of software-dependent devvices like win-modems.

On a related topic, I've seen a brand-name IDE hard drive (Winchester IIRC, or
maybe Conner? or maybe something else- I don't remember now) listed similarly,
which made me think it was a "win-drive".

Can anyone enlighten me on the state of this issue? Thanks!