fetchmail, exim and pine

I still have difficulty with email configurations. Although I can
send and receive mail, things are very basic. Would someone
kindly help me a little further along by explaining/answering:-

a. My .fetchmailrc contains 'warning 3600' at the end the basic
    config. (i.e. poll pop.xxxx.xxx with proto POP3    user "xxxx"
    there with password "xxxx" is xxxx here warning 3600)

b. I understand a .forward file (in my home directory) will enable
    me to sort incoming mail. Can I create it in a text editor (say
    pico or ee - my favourites) and are there any special rules
    and examples.

c. What are RFC 821 and RFC 822.

d. As a very inexperienced novice, I still find it best to study
    the printed word. I don't have a printer attached to this
    installation, so I use mtools and take text onto a floppy
    for printing by another machine. Is there any easy way to
    make man pages (e.g. 'exim.8.gz' after unzipping) capable
    of being reproduced without the 'weird bits' which I don't
    at present understand.

Grateful for any assistance.
John.