Mouse problem

I just upgraded from a 485dx2 using a bus mouse which worked great to a
pentiumIII450.
I move the whole system to the new disk but the mouse doesn't seem to
work.
I tried most protocols (microsoft, m s system (I think, its the second
option) ps/2 and mst others).
When i set it to port /dev/ttyS0 x comes up fine with no worning about not
finding the mouse, but the mouse pointer won't move.
The mouse is connected to a ps/2 mouse port (it has a ps/2 connection)
Its a noramal three button logitech mouse.
it works fine in windows , but i couldn't find any information under
windows as to the port its connected to. (there was something about a ps/2
port, not very coherent).
I know I have three serial ports apearing on the port check.
Two sockets with nothing connected to them, looks like com1 and com3, i
think both are 16550A, and a modem (US robotiks 56K int PnP modem, which
doesn't work either BTW, if anyone has any sujestions where to start with
it) on com2.
The motherboard is an intell 820 pentium II/III (camino) as it apears on
the booklet.
Any idea's how do i set up the mouse for X? (I guess that its a problem
with the port I'm defining it to but I'm not shure)

Thanx
michf@math.tau.ac.il