Re: 2 computers away 1 Km and one PL

On Fri, 26 Nov 1999, Shaul Karl wrote:
>> WaveLAN (radio Ethernet over unrestricted frequencies) can apparently get
>> 1Mb/s over distances greater than 1Km.  No need to pay the telco either...
>>

>What is radio Ethernet over unrestricted frequencies? Can you give a URLs for more info? Who manufacture this kind of radio equipment?
>Isn't any kind of radio equipment over distances longer then 1-2 meters requires a license?

It really depends on the country you are in as someone has already mentioned.
The URL below is for one of my clients.  They are based in Australia and know
the Australian regulations very well.  They do not claim to be experts on
radio regulations for other countries, but I am sure that they will be happy
to sell the equipment by mail order to any country on the understanding that
the purchaser will ensure that it is used in a legal fashion.
Dycom is a client of mine, but they didn't ask me to write this.  ;)
http://www.dycom.com.au/

I've used WaveLAN in Linux machines.  The ISA cards worked perfectly, the
PCMCIA cards only worked for receive not transmit.  However it's been a while
since I played with them and the bugs have probably been fixed (the PCMCIA
card that didn't work under Linux worked under Windows).

--
Electronic information tampers with your soul.