Why did 'man dpkg' quit working on me?

Hi,

	I am working on a box which has a standard Slink install. I used
to be able to pull up the man page of dpkg by doing 'man dpkg'. Yesterday,
all of a sudden, this command quit working on me, and I cant figure out
why. The man page was still around - located in /usr/share/man/man8, but
man wasnt picking it up unless I used the '-M' flag to tell it where it
was.

	I tried rebuilding the man database by doing a 'mandb -c', but
this didnt solve it either. In the end, I had to end up editing
/etc/manpath.config and added /usr/share/man to the MANDATORY_MANPATH and
then rebuilding mandb, before my problem could get solved.

	I have two questions : (1) did I solve this the right way? and (2)
Why did this fail in the first place? Any ideas?

Regards,
Jor-el

I drink to make other people interesting.
		-- George Jean Nathan