xxx.tar.gz on Windows.

I know this is a little off subject, but I think it's a problem may
people are running into.

I have a ftp server with lot's of files on it. I usually use .tar.gz for
large archives rather than .zip because not all my UNIX users has unzip
installed. Winzip supposedly supports tar and gz also.

I recently found that when my Windows users download the .tar.gz
archives using Netscape and try to unzip them using Winzip, they get an
error message and they don't get anywhere.

I would like to understand what is going on, and how I can fix the
problem. If anyone had the same problem and found a good solution
(meaning NOT having to use .zip rather than .tar.gz, and NOT having to
use that terrible "OS" called Windows), please let me know.

Thanks