Re: Coputer upgrade problem - mouse and modem don't work

On Thu, Nov 25, 1999 at 06:29:07PM +0200, Micha Feigin wrote

> On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, Micha Feigin wrote:
>
> > I just upgraded my computer from a 486 to a petiumIII450.
> > I moved the old disk to the new computer in order to move the linux
> > instelation. Linux came up mostly fine exept for two magor problems:
> > The mouse doesn't respond under X. I tried most protocolst that looked
> > remotly apropriate.
> > The mouse is a regular logitec mouse (for the moment).
> > I think that its installed in /dev/ttyS0 (there is a port marked mouse on
> > the back of the coputer, and in proc I got that there are two serial
> > ports, one 16450 (or something like that) which is ttyS0 and 16550A under
> > ttyS1).
> > X comes up fine with no worning about mice trouble but just won't move the
> > cursor. I had gpm installed (workrd fine with the bus mouse on the older
> > computer) but I removed it since it gave trouble last time I moved to a
> > computer with no bus mouse) but it didn't solve anything.
>
> I just remebered, if it helps then I think that its a ps/2 port that the
> mouse connects to.

That's a good thing to remember.  Your mouse is probably on device
/dev/psaux (small, round mini-DIN-like connector), and should probably
use the 'mman' protocol under X.  Your kernel needs to have the 'psaux'
driver built-in or loaded as a module; if you have the 'standard' Debian
kernel, try 'modprobe psaux' as root, and if that works then add 'psaux'
to /etc/modules (assuming you don't autoload modules).

> Also, can I make the wheel of a  logitec wheel mouse work under X (if not,
> will it work as a third button?)

Couldn't say for sure, but you may find that the 'imwheeel' package can help
here.

> > Also, there is a us robotics 56k modem installed, I think that its PnP but
> > I'm not shure, its not supposed to be winmodem, and its an isa modem.
> > pon won't recognise it on any port. (I think its supposed to be com2 under
> > win so I tried ttyS1), kppp tells me when I try to probe modem on ports
> > ttyS1 ttyS2 and ttyS3 that the modem is buisy.
> > Any idea's How I set it up?

There are two kinds of ISA modems other than WinModems: ones which require
that you set up the IO port & IRQ with jumpers on the card, amd ones that
are ISAPNP and must be set up by software.  If yours uses jumpers, you
need to find out t\what they mean, and set them to something sensible; if
it doesn't, you probably need to use the 'isapnptools' package to configure
it at boottime (short synopsis: run 'pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf'; edit
/etc/isapnp.conf to choose a configuration; reboot or run
'isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf' to configure the modem).  If neither of these
work then your modem is likely a WinModem, broken, or both.

> > Also, there was an HOWTO concerning disk upgrade which Isn't installed on
> > the latest version of the HOWTO's so if anyone can please mail it to me,
> > or tell me how to make a boot floppy (I forgot and the HOWTO talks about
> > making one from dos), and how do I set up lilo, for changing the disks (I
> > remember that it needs to been done through a boot floppy)

I haven't checked, but I think that the LILO howto covers using floppy
disks...

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au