Coputer upgrade problem - mouse and modem don't work

I just upgraded my computer from a 486 to a petiumIII450.
I moved the old disk to the new computer in order to move the linux
instelation. Linux came up mostly fine exept for two magor problems:
The mouse doesn't respond under X. I tried most protocolst that looked
remotly apropriate.
The mouse is a regular logitec mouse (for the moment).
I think that its installed in /dev/ttyS0 (there is a port marked mouse on
the back of the coputer, and in proc I got that there are two serial
ports, one 16450 (or something like that) which is ttyS0 and 16550A under
ttyS1).
X comes up fine with no worning about mice trouble but just won't move the
cursor. I had gpm installed (workrd fine with the bus mouse on the older
computer) but I removed it since it gave trouble last time I moved to a
computer with no bus mouse) but it didn't solve anything.

Also, there is a us robotics 56k modem installed, I think that its PnP but
I'm not shure, its not supposed to be winmodem, and its an isa modem.
pon won't recognise it on any port. (I think its supposed to be com2 under
win so I tried ttyS1), kppp tells me when I try to probe modem on ports
ttyS1 ttyS2 and ttyS3 that the modem is buisy.
Any idea's How I set it up?

Also, there was an HOWTO concerning disk upgrade which Isn't installed on
the latest version of the HOWTO's so if anyone can please mail it to me,
or tell me how to make a boot floppy (I forgot and the HOWTO talks about
making one from dos), and how do I set up lilo, for changing the disks (I
remember that it needs to been done through a boot floppy)

 Thanx
michf@math.tau.ac.il