install-info: failed to lock dir for editing! No such file or directory

Hi all,

I had a problem with my hard disk and somehow my potato system has
gotten hosed.  Can someone tell me how to correct the following
problem?

chicago:~# dpkg -i /tmp/dpkg_1.4.1.19.deb
(Reading database ... 65879 files and directories currently
installed.)
Preparing to replace dpkg 1.4.1.19 (using /tmp/dpkg_1.4.1.19.deb) ...
install-info: failed to lock dir for editing! No such file or
directory
dpkg: warning - old pre-removal script returned error exit status 2
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
dpkg: ... it looks like that went OK.
Unpacking replacement dpkg ...
Setting up dpkg (1.4.1.19) ...

chicago:~# dpkg -i /tmp/info_4.0-1.deb
(Reading database ... 65879 files and directories currently
installed.)
Preparing to replace info 4.0-1 (using /tmp/info_4.0-1.deb) ...
install-info: failed to lock dir for editing! No such file or
directory
dpkg: warning - old pre-removal script returned error exit status 2
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
dpkg: ... it looks like that went OK.
Unpacking replacement info ...
Setting up info (4.0-1) ...
install-info: failed to lock dir for editing! No such file or
directory
dpkg: error processing info (--install):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
 info

Thank you,

Chris

--
Looking for a cutting edge           | Christophe Broult
software verification technology?    | <mailto:broult@info.unicaen.fr>